The National Cancer Institute has done caregivers at great service by publishing a free online booklet entitled, “When Someone You Love Has Advanced Cancer.” (Thankfully there is also a nice PDF version for those who would like to print it out and read a hard copy or give it to someone as a gift.) In the booklet caregivers are given information and encouragement to help them care not only for their loved one, but also themselves.
Here’s a glimpse at the table of contents:
- Helping Your Loved One Cope With Advanced Cancer
- Working With the Health Care Team
- Getting Support
- Life Planning
- Talking with Family and Friends
- Caring for Yourself
- Caregiver’s Bill of Rights
- Personal Affairs Worksheet
- Signs That Death Is Near and What You Can Do
Caregivers are on the front-lines of cancer care and play an indispensable role in the life of a loved one battling cancer. This is why resources like this are so valuable. Let’s help keep caregivers strong — for the greater care of those in the fight.